Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Adjusted!


Hey family and friends! 

This probably won't be the best email because I'm trying to use my computer time to figure out if there are any classes available for me to even get to register for school this semester -__- real life is no beuno.

This week we taught more lessons than ever before, and we are finding so many people! :) We have officially reached a whole new level with our members. They are like family to us and have been giving us referrals and setting dates for us to teach in their homes like never before! 

My favorite lesson this week was with my friend Dub. (that's just her nickname dont worry haha). She's a chiropractor so before meeting with her we went in to her office that morning to get adjusted.

She was telling us about the importance of getting adjusted regularly... And it got me thinking about all the people who don't go to chiropractors- yet they seem to do alright. I asked her about it, and she explained to me that in fact, everyone needs to be adjusted. And the ones who don't just suffer and think feeling junky is normal. 

Later that night as we read from Mosiah with her, we were able to relate the a fore mentioned lesson to keeping the commandments/repenting. Not many people keep the commandments and repent... Quite often because they don't realize what they're missing and don't want to pay the price of adjusting their life style. 

We saw this very thing a lot this week. We were able to talk to some less actives who just weren't willing to try again. It hurts my heart when people won't just try out the gospel and see just how good they can have it. 

I was reading in 1st Nephi 21 this week and came to really love it. It's the Lord showing the Nephites to Isaiah. It appears the speaker can be represented as the Savior, Joseph Smith, a missionary, or anyone who is a disciple of Christ. 

"2 And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;
3 And said unto me: Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.
4 Then I said, I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for naught and in vain; surely my judgment is with the Lord, and my work with my God.
5 And now, saith the Lord--that formed me from the womb that I should be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him--though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the Lord, and my God shall be my strength.
6 And he said: It is a light thing that thou shouldst be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel. I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the ends of the earth.
7 Thus saith the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel, his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nations abhorreth, to servant of rulers: Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the Lord that is faithful."

I feel that exact way. I am here to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord (verse 2), yet often I feel like my calling is in vain because of my own weaknesses and sins... There's no way I can be an effective messenger! (verse 4). Yet the Lord has set me apart from the beginning to do this, and he knows that I can (verse 5). It is my purpose to teach to the Gentiles (non members) and bring the words of salvation to his children (verse 6) . And through my faith, God will be glorified. (Verse 2 and 7)

I feel so blessed to have the knowledge that I do, and to have been given the power and authority to present this great message of the restored gospel. He gives me strength when I am weak.

For example, the other day in a lesson I broke a Popsicle stick and It went flying across the room. Sister Rawlings' immediate response was: "HOCH SMASH!" 
Hahahahaaha 
Okay maybe totally not appropriate in the context I was using it in ;) 

Also, here is a video of me bravely running at some wild animal. You have to look carefully! 


Oh man that reminds me, has anyone ever thought about what it means when we are taught not to partake in "loud laughter"?
I don't think I ever fully understood that until my companion and I made a study of it this past week. I started to reflect on and catch all the times I laughed extra loud, as well as study examples in the scriptures. First thing that may come to your mind is Nephi's family in the boat who started dancing and singing and being loud with laughter. Was them having a good time bad? No! It was the fact that they were doing it with "much rudeness". I realized that most of the time when I would laugh really loud it was when something maybe inappropriate was said. Whether that was a silly rumor about someone, a mean joke, etc. Laughing itself isn't bad, it's just the type of laughter... The "why" of the laughter. 

President Joseph F Smith taught:
“… I believe that it is necessary for the Saints to have amusement, but it must be of the proper kind. I do not believe the Lord intends and desires that we should pull a long face and look sanctimonious and hypocritical. I think he expects us to be happy and of a cheerful countenance, but he does not expect of us the indulgence in boisterous and unseemly conduct and the seeking after the vain and foolish things which amuse and entertain the world. He has commanded us to the contrary for our own good and eternal welfare.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1916, p. 70.)

Joseph Smith also was an advocate of having fun but not letting it over power your ability to think deep thoughts and listen to the spirit.

We are all seeking for greater happiness in our lives, but it's important to recognize that too much light-mindedness isn't productive or effective. I suppose I say this as a way of calling myself out, because this week while thinking about loud laughter I noticed most of mine came from spending too much time conversing with other missionaries or members about frivolous topics. I'm excited to re focus myself on the work this week and try to enjoy what I do without needing to be excessive or merely trifle in my speech. I've found it can detract from the spirit and take away from what I'm trying to accomplish. 
This week, pay attention to where and how you are finding your source of amusement and see if there isn't a way to change and make it more beneficial :). 

We had an investigator at church this week. Her name is Maya and she is a young woman. Her mom said we should teach her daughter because it helps her. My goal is to teach the whole family to help them! So if you'd care to remember, pray for Maya and her families hearts to be prepared for the gospel :). 

Well, on that note, Horchata is a wonderful Mexican drink I've been given way too much of this week. 
Oh and here is picture of me with Elizabeth in the ward who is about to go on a mission. (We matched ;)). 

Love you all! :) 


Sister Hochstrasser 
Write to me!
Sister Jennifer Hochstrasser
Tennessee Nashville Mission
105 West Park Dr Ste 190
Brentwood, TN 37027

No comments:

Post a Comment